What’s going on world, it’s ya boy Neo and I just wanted to put out some information that has helped me. Now this kind of goes without saying but face scanning for NBA 2K games can be a bit of a hassle and creates tons of frustration within the gaming community, myself included BELIEVE ME. But if you know me well enough you know I can’t just quit although on a few occasions while doing this over the past few years I’ve felt like it. So below I have put a few tips that have helped me attain some pretty good scans.
- Okay let’s first start off with face positioning when using the 2K17 mobile app. Below are some examples of where I positioned my face in order to get good scans.
<— You want your head positioned about here within the oval, pretty much having the top of the oval be about where your hairline is while also leaving enough room to the left and right for head turning.
Now this is entirely too close, don’t do this, may lead to a lot of weird faces as it does not leave room for you to turn your head and the app will probably tell you it can’t find your face.—>
<— Now this angle may be the move for those above the head pics by the Instagram honeys but this is NOT good for a 2K face scan…stay focused!!!
Don’t turn your head this far, you are just wasting time as the camera will only snap pics to a certain point but for some reason if it did continue you will get weird bright light spots on you scanned face when uploaded to your system —>
- Next tip is about turning your head, best advice I can give is to turn your head as SLOOOOOOOOOOWLY as you possibly can. There really is no set way to describe this, just don’t turn your head as fast as possible, have to give the camera a chance to capture the multiple shots it needs to build the face. I would say give the time between the faces getting the green lights maybe about 10 seconds or so.
- When turning your head to the left and right, lift it slightly, don’t tilt your head down, this allows the light to hit the proper spots on your face if need be.
- Speaking of shadows on your face, these next 2 pictures will illustrate how the light shouldn’t be when on your face. Try to make sure that the light is centered as best as it can be so that it will be even on your face. The pic on the left has too much light coming from the right side, the pic on the right has a dark shadow on the left side, both are very bad for business.
- If you happen to get this error, just close that particular scan and start it over again, don’t even waste your time because in most instances it’s not going to come out right.
- Keeping in line with errors let me speak on the scanning error that some may see, an error that I myself experienced for almost 3 straight days and then I figured out what I was doing wrong. If you are too far back when inside of the oval, like pictured below, you will get the following error listed in the video. To counter this just move your face/head closer to the camera in the oval, that’s it and then you will begin to get regular working scans again and TRUST me when I changed this I have YET to see that error again.
- Next very important tip is your lighting, now this is very situational because some people can get great scans without the best of light, I mean I have gotten good scans while being in my garage which only has 2 lights in it. But to get the most recent scan I have I did it in the conditions below. These are the windows for my bathroom and a bedroom window, just to give you an idea of how I was able to get good lighting on my face. Also with the lighting, if you notice the sun isn’t beaming through the windows, you don’t want that because then your face will be TOO light. For instance I took these pictures and did my scan early this morning which is good because the sun was still on the other side of the house but the light was good none the less. If you look at my face you will see that it picked up pretty good, I mean it got the area under and around my eyes very well along with my nose which is a normally very difficult part to have scanned correctly.
- Don’t make it your mission to get a “GREAT” face scan, above average and at times even the most “AVERAGE” of scans will work just fine. On the old 2K’s when we had to scan with the PS4 cam/Kinect it was times when I got well over 12,000 reference points but my scan looked wack and as you can see below this one I ended up with got only a few thousand.
- If you can try to prop your phone up so you don’t have to actually hold it and can focus on the turning of your head.
- Using your rear camera works well too if you can have someone hold the camera for you but truth be told you can get excellent ones with the front facing cameras so it’s not a MUST.
- Should you want to see about getting a better scan even though you are content with the one you currently have you can do this and just not save it. Do the complete scanning process and see how the face comes out once uploaded. If you don’t like it just “Abort Changes And Return” this was you can keep testing out scans without losing one. Be careful with this though because if you just leave your system on the screen and then come back to it and save it for some odd reason it may put a generic face on your scan, it’s a very weird thing and it’s happened to me twice.
- Try to look at your camera when turning your head during the scanning process. I also noticed that if you look at your screen/face it works okay also, just in case you wanted to keep an eye on how you are turning your head.
- Try to let your head get close to the edge as pictured below. Notice how my head has a slight tilt up the closer I get to the edge
- For the eyebrows try a few scans so you can judge to see where YOUR eyebrows will be positioned on your face scan because hair will show up lightly and you want the system eyebrows to be able to go RIGHT over the spots where your brows would be. This is also a good way to know when you are at the right height etc for your face scans.
- Try not to blink a lot, I mean you can get away with blinking but don’t Nicki Minaj blink my dude. If you HAVE to blink stop turning and hold your head still get your blink in and then keep turning for your scan.
- Sometimes on the Android side the app will get hung up and it will tell you that it can’t find your face, if this happens just close the app and reopen it, that’s all.
- Try not to have an extra shiny or glossy type face, it will make your player look plastic…now this doesn’t mean scan with an ashy face just don’t create reflections on your face. Also try to keep your mouth closed.
- I said it before but I must say it once again before I bring this to a close, turn your head slowly, this is extremely important.
And that’s really about all you truly need to know, or at least all I can think of for right now to help you get a good scan. Also I am always there to help if I can so if you need some assistance hit me on here or on Twitter at @NeoThaAnomaly and I’ll get back to you and try to get you right. Face scanning is huge to me because all I play is My Career thus why I kind of go OD crazy when it comes to it but I also try to find out the best ways so that I can pass along the help to my fellow gamers in the community since 2K has always given us a really basic guideline for how it should be done. So I hope this helped some and gets you all some much better scans, although I do love all those weird ones I see people post but as gamers I want us all to have great face scans. Holla at yall….1 (Below is the final scan after all the editing and everything that I did, I think it looks like me)