*A few updates were made to the blog post patch (1.03)*
Is NBA2K17 a step up in a lot of ways, yes it is, but my assumption is that not many of those ways are directly related to the My Career mode which still suffers from many of the same issues that it has had along with many others. Below I will address a few of the things that I have seen and noticed while playing 2K17. I have to say though, I still do not believe anyone tests this mode out prior to releasing it to the public because I just can’t see how these things can happen and I can notice them within a matter of days or even hours and no one at the company does.
- After certain cutscenes which you talk, like the ones prior to the start of the 2nd quarter, it pans back to show your player on the court and your mouth is doing this weird fast movement, it’s actually very disturbing to be honest.
- In order to change your jumpshot animation you must select it in the mode but then exit it and go back into it for it to take affect, this is STUPID!!!
- The broadcast team is ALWAYS the same and I seriously have no idea how no one noticed this. The broadcast team never changes from Kevin Harlan, Greg Anthony and Steve Smith. They touted this whole multiple broadcasters stuff but it means nothing to My Career, I pray that they repair this viz patch or something. *UPDATE: It seems like this has been fixed with the patch because the first game I played post patch had Chris Webber commentating not the usual Steve Smith*
- If the CPU is even just a LITTLE open, go ahead and run back down court because the shot is going in, now your players/teammates, this is NOT the case.
- Be prepared for your big time players to be outplayed by WHOMEVER is out there on the opposing team in their positions. Marc Gasol gets destroyed every game, EVERY game.
- The help defense is Garbage, possibly the worst I have ever seen with a 2K game. The rotations are non-existent, the logic with decision making of your players is horrendously bad and it costs you so many defensive stops. I have never seen anything like it and it makes no sense that all these guys that tall about making the game realistic, adding this and that can’t get something as basic as help defense to work properly in regards to My Career mode.
- Substitution patterns are still weird and in many cases just dumb so that whole thing with the coaching adapting is nonsense from what I can see. If the CPU has a hot player your coach will make ZERO adjustments to defend the guy, ZERO.
- In the 4th quarter there will hardly be ANY substitutions and fatigue still doesn’t matter much in that regard so again, more fluff they tried to sell us that isn’t accurate when you play. Now keep in mind those things may be truthful in other modes but none of it is in My Career and that’s all I am speaking of right now.
- Haircuts for your player…….yeah maybe we should just go to the next item because this is still some trash. I seriously have no idea who approves things like this because I’d like to know WHO they know that has hairlines like those that are in the game. Shape ups are absolutely disgusting, just bad and it has been for many years now. It would be nice if we could get shape ups and cuts like your homie from early int he game (pictured below).
- Generic shoes need to NEVER be a part of this game, EVER!!! You have never seen a guy in the league wearing Limited Edition 2K Sports 11’s, FOH 2K.
- At times you will be standing there getting ready to guard your man and another one of the CPU players will run RIGHT INTO YOU and drive you all the way back and they will pass your man the rock for an open shot, this will infuriate you, trust me…happens a lot too.
- The feels of the game is smoother but it still feels wild sticky, like the game is stuttering when you are moving around and that’s because it still have this “someone else is trying to move me places I don’t want to go” feel to it. I have never understood why they just don’t let you as the player decide where you want to be on the floor without the pulling and tugging, it’s like you are fighting against Skynet.
- Lot of suction animations or you sticking to people as you run around.
- When you make a steal or in a position to start a fast break the game does this weird thing where it kind of turns your guys around instead of letting him go the proper direction. Also in regards to fast breaks people still catch you, you still have that slow up moment instead of allowing you to sprint out and begin the break. You will be cut off and halted by defenders no matter HOW much faster you may be than them and it’s aggravating because this has been the case for years.
- Don’t throw too many passes because the CPU will intercept them RELIGIOUSLY!!! And I do mean religiously, they are going to have sooooooooooooo many steals, won’t always be you making the passes either, your teammates will throw the worst passes and the CPU players will miraculously ALWAYS be in the right position. *UPDATE: most of the steals were a result of lazy slow lob passes regardless of the situation but this seems to have been tweaked some with the recent patch*
- Prior to the recent patch that was released, 1.03 I believe, damn near every CPU defender was amazing, I mean on some Bruce Bowen, Jordan, The Glove type amazing but it seems that the patch fixed that. Now while Avery Bradley played me well, to be expected because he’s a good defender, I abused some other dudes they put on me and it felt right because they were weaker defenders. Good job on this 2K.
- There are a lot of strange things that happen like in these 2 pictures below where in one the reporters interviewing Justice are our teammates and in the other Denver has become…..ME
- And lastly, Michael B. Jordan has blue eyes………….yeah.
So that’s a few of the things that I have noticed while playing the game, I am sure there is more but I can’t think of everything right now. Is the game playable, very much so, more so than it used to be, yeah, but it still needs a lot of work and again I don’t know how they don’t realize a lot of these issues prior to releasing the game to us. For the life of me I still don’t understand why sliders are not able to be used or have any affect on My Career mode, because if you could use sliders a LOT of these issues could be minimized or even removed from your gaming experience, but nope….not an option.